Mary Edwards is a British painter. She studied for her Bachelor of Arts (1996) and her Masters Degree in Fine Art (2013) at Bath Spa University. Mary works on canvas, on paper and location specific wall painting; Mary has a studio in Box in Wiltshire and in Bath, Somerset.
“Seemingly infinite spaces are filled with bubbly agglomerations of colour, happily floating and expanding. There is movement here, gentle and joyous. Reduced to a simple language of shape and colour, these paintings are celebrations of luminosity and light. The eyes absorb relationships, detect connections between the subtle spheres of hues, some of them opaque, others reaching translucency. As new layers emerge certainty diminishes. We need to step closer, seeking reassurance from the physical qualities of paint. Mary Edwards’ works are attempts to “depict a thing of the mind”, evasive and impossible to define, but evidently there, continuously oscillating between a fragile glimpse and a bold presence”.
- Trowbridge Arts Centre. Town Hall Trowbridge. ‘Proximity, to magenta’ on loan and hanging in the entrance hall. 2016/2017. A big thank you to Fiona Cassidy. www.fionacassidy.com
- Towards Stillness. 44AD Gallery. Bath. 2015
- Being/Far from Home. Anise Gallery, London. 2 014.
- Laura’s Place. 44AD Gallery. Bath. 2014.
- MFA Degree Show. Bath Spa University. 2013.
- Off Limits. The Old Leadworks, Bristol Docks. 1996.
- BA (Hons) Fine Art Degree Show. Bath College of Art and Design. 1996.